In 1869, Thomas McMurray pioneered the first newspaper to serve, not only the town of Parry Sound, but the district as well. It was called the Northern Advocate. In September of that same year, Mr. McMurray moved the Advocated to Bracebridge where it was subsequently merged into the Free Grant Gazette. He returned to Parry Sound in 1874 and printed the first issue of the North Star on October 1st of the year.
The Parry Sound North Star continues to be the paper of record in this community over 140 years later.
The Parry Sound Beacon Star, distributed to every home in the greater Parry Sound area, provides community news along the western shores of Georgian Bay.
Both papers also serve the surrounding communities of MacTier, Rosseau, Humphrey, Orrville, McKellar, Nobel, Dunchurch, Britt and Pointe au Baril.
The company issues many other publications throughout the year, and also has a strong online presence and readership at http://www.parrysound.com/.